Sunday, February 23, 2014

COSTA RICA – LA FORTUNA, VOLCANO ARENAL: THE BUTTERFLY GARDENS

We are staying in La Fortuna near Volcano Arenal, a mysterious entity shrouded in clouds and overcast skies.  Despite postcards displayed in every La Fortuna store depicting lava spewing like fireworks, after 3 days of the same, obliterating weather obscuring any view of the majestic volcano, my brother is beginning to think the Volcano doesn’t really exist. Generally a chill guy, he can be irritatingly calm in comparison to my spastic tendencies.  His grumblings about the unseen volcano are translated into little, casual jokes that come across like a soft breeze rustling a few leaves – barely noticeable except to the sibling ear tuned in to variations of an enviable “whatever” attitude.  I can imagine wondering the same if I had not already seen Arenal with my own eyes, although my grumblings are comparable to the ones made by the fire goddess herself.


We have met a guy named Curtis who invites us along for a day trip in a car he has rented.  Curtis is a fascinating guy, travelling for 7 months from Alaska to Argentina.  I first saw him in the airport in El Salvador, his presence intriguing even without the walking stick in his hand, and I found myself drawn to him.  He popped up again at the Coca Cola bus station in Costa Rica.   We ran into him again in Montezuma.  When we happened upon him in Manuel Antonio National Park, we finally got his name.  “I’ll probably see you in the next town,” he joked.  And we did.  So it wasn’t surprising we saw him in La Fortuna and we were happy to accept his invitation for a day adventure around Lake Arenal.

The car Curtis rents is like a ¾’s size prototype of the BMW Mini before it even existed, with tires that look like the smallest version of a legitimate tire available to the public.  It is cute; endearing almost - provided you don’t let thoughts of how crashing into a bus or a truck will disintegrate your endearing cuteness in a nano-second.

We drive off, Cool Curtis at the wheel, headed for a ride around Lake Arenal.  The road is bumpy, full of potholes, and we are jostled around as though we’re riding a galloping horse on ether, occasional jolts sending our heads bobbing towards the roof.  We see a sign for The Butterfly Gardens and turn around to check it out, lured by the ubiquitously painted blue morpho butterfly, its bright blue wings standing out amidst the intense green foliage in jungle surround sound.

We pay the fee and walk in towards the enclosure of fences.  A pricking sensation hits my leg and I instinctively slap it, looking down to see a smear of blood and splayed mosquito body parts.  The big, now-splayed mosquito and additional pricking sensations are incentive to squirm into my unappealing, thin, polyester jacket, an item naively brought before I figured out that polyester and humidity are generally not friends.

An exotic flower welcomes us into what is truly a “butterfly garden”. We ready our cameras, snapping photos of one after another flower planted to entice butterflies and humans flitting about Costa Rica in the same uncertainty and tipsy delight. We meander along the dirt paths, our attention focused on a delicate flower then suddenly distracted by the elaborate petals and bursting stems of another.  We each take turns snapping shots of the same flowers. 

“We should keep moving, Na,” my brother says.  He is right.  The mosquitos are finding us to be easy targets as we stall, motionless for that mediocre flower picture.  I can hear my brother occasionally slapping himself.  We haven’t even made it to the butterflies yet, which are up ahead in a large, completely fenced in area.  We attempt to pick up the pace but are both continually distracted along the way by the tropical plants and flowers appealing to our primal sense of beauty.

Finally making it to the enclosure, we step through the gate and see many butterflies in orange, white, yellow, brown, and even blue.  Some of them have intricate patterns on their wings and others are solid flashes of pigment, winking through the plants and bits of imprisoned sky. 

The butterflies are more challenging to photograph in their frenetic approach to flying.  It doesn’t help that our ability to aim and steady the camera is compromised by a duet of cacophonic mosquito slapping. 

We continue to try as though we are avid butterfly hunters or professional photographers trying to get that perfect shot and not the wandering amateurs that we are.  I miss shot after shot of uncooperative butterflies and become determined to try to capture one.   My brother is behind me and urging me to keep moving forward occasionally.  As I stall yet again for another photograph attempt, he sees and tries to protect me from the mosquitos swarming around my shoulders, swatting at them in futile attempts to dissuade them from their natural born duty to feast on genetically optimal blood like mine.

He reminds me to keep moving and, in agreement, I try to move more quickly until once again a beautiful distraction stops me in my tracks.  I am focused on my latest conquest when suddenly, my brother’s voice sounds out with none of the traditional calm he is known for.  It comes out a half octave higher than usual, panicky, and urgent.   With an edge of hysteria, he loses all composure and shouts, “FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, NA, RUN! RUUUUUUN!” 

His warning would have made more sense if the Volcano was erupting, but no, he was referring to the mosquitos of Costa Rica.  In a picturesque Butterfly Garden. In the middle of Paradise.

We make it back to the car where Cool Curtis has coolly sat this one out and continue along the bad roads around Lake Arenal.  After a ridiculous amount of ricocheting and bouncing, I insist on giving driving a shot, believing my years of San Francisco driving skills with swerves and maneuvers are fierce competition for the potholes in the road.  As we bounce along with the same ferocity as before, our comical undulations of alternate bobbing beginning to look like a synchronized, motorized tick we have all developed in the jungle, I realize my driving techniques, or anyone’s for that matter, are no match for the Costa Rican roads.  The potholes are unavoidable.  Being from San Francisco, I just take them faster.  Bounding along like out of control kangaroos, we laugh; I laugh so hysterically hard that I can barely drive. 

We make it back in one piece.  Why shouldn’t we?  After all, we survived the Butterfly Gardens.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment